Monday, July 10, 2006

Big Brother Blog?

Is it legal to do two posts in the same day?

As you ponder the complexities of that question I will go on with a new web log. I never know what to put in these blogs but I want to put stuff. That is kind of a strange topic to write about, not knowing what to write about, but it perplexes me.

I don't understand how people can just open up in their blogs. In all reality who looks at other peoples blogs other than those who know that person? Are there actually people out there that have no idea who I am yet read my blog? I highly doubt it. I have read other peoples blogs that I don't know but only for a little bit because I don't know the person and I don't want to take the time to read through a myriad of posts to figure out who this person is.

So why do people open up in their blogs but not in person? I cannot think of a time that I would put something here that I would not say in person. I recently read a blog of one of my friends in which he was upset with the way we have been treating him. Everything that he said was true, he wasn't really whining or anything. But why did he post a blog? Why not just tell us? (If you are reading this I apologize for my part in all of that and will definitely try to not go so far)

I wrote a blog a while ago and told no one about it that I know. I put personal things in it but deleted it shortly there after for fear that someone I know might see it. Why did I do that?

The blog it appears has become the modern day diary. But instead of your older sister hiding the key to her diary from you, her prying younger brother, she makes a post on the internet. She confides in the anonymity of cyber space. She will confide in her big brother the internet but not her actual brother. The appeal lies in the anonymity of it all. We get to vent or pour out our heart or whatever and maybe someone will post a reassuring comment. Maybe someone will sympathize with us.

Is this healthy? Should we really confide in people we can't see and may have never met? I am just as guilty as the next person for not wanting to confide in people I know. Am I afraid of what they think of me? That seems to be the reason. With the case of my friend he wants us to know about it, but might be scared of how we will take it, or maybe he doesn't think we will take it seriously. So he can write about it online and maybe we will chance upon it and change.

Should we really blog about our lives, or should we find a confidante and try resolve our issues with someone we know. To me the internet is pulling us out of reality. Online dating is easy, There is a forum for just about everything, anything that we can't get out in a forum we publish in our on-line diary, we confide in our big brother. What about our actual brother or sister?

I hope to make a blog of events, and to try to focus on talking to other people. I do not wish to degrade those who make blogs like this especially since I have done it in the past. I merely pose the question is it healthy, and should we do it? Maybe it is actually healthy and really helps people and doesn't just feel good, because many things that "feel good" are actually not good.

Now I am rambling.

edit: I see no problem with commentary on actual events.

1 comment:

The-Doug.com said...

Maybe you are right. I've never really posted a blog before so the topics I choose might not be the best.

I assume your "friend's post" is mine about teasing and stuff. I don't think that I was trying to change they way you all treat me. I don't mind it. I guess I was just venting or making an observation about myself. It was kind of my way of making fun of everyone else for what they do.

In the end I realized that I need to be more clear about my wants and needs when it comes to that part of my life. I tend to fly off the handle about it but really never do anything about it. Rather than getting upset at it like I am, I thought that I should try and handle it a bit differently in the future, that's it.

Sorry about that Shaun. You guys are my friends and I like it that way. I think I'm the one who needs to change more than anything.